maandag 5 maart 2012

Genovia? Georgia?


After visiting Uzbekistan, we went north and arrived at Georgia. First, I thought of the movie “The Princess Diaries” with Anne Hathaway. The story tells about a young girl that becomes a princess of the country Genovia. The two names are similar so it wasn’t that accidental. Unfortunately, Genovia is an imaginary country but we were lucky to experience Georgia.

I admit, I couldn’t point on the map were this country was situated. With a little bit of help from my friends, I knew Georgia was bounded to the west by the Black Sea, to the north by Russia, to the south by Turkey and Armenia, and to the southeast by Azerbaijan. Tbilisi is the capital and also the largest city in Georgia. They have a population of almost 4,7 million. I have always wondered which climate a mountainous country had. Well, I experienced it myself.  This country has a very complex geographic setting. It’s situated in the South Caucasus. It is also a very mountainous country. After 2 hours hiking, our feet already hurt. But it was worth it. We saw the highest mountain; Mount Shkhara that measures 5 068 meters. Amazing!
The highland areas of southern Georgia are often called as the Lesser Caucasus Mountains. This region has a lot of interconnected mountain ranges and plateaus. The Javakheti Volcanic Plateau is a large grassland plain with many wetlands and alpine lakes. But you can find also hot springs. At the end of the day, we found one! I can assure you, it was extraordinary but especially soothing.

Thank you for reading my blog and feel free to leave a comment!


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten